New York City resident Julissa Guzman leads a career as a passionate independent makeup artist with a history of working with models for magazines, print advertisements, and other media types. Outside her career, travel plays an important role in Julissa Guzman’s life, and she values these ventures as critical journeys of self-discovery. Individuals interested in using travel as a form of self-discovery should keep the following suggestions in mind.
1. Consider traveling alone. Traveling alone allows you to focus on yourself without worrying about the needs, wants, and concerns of others. Solo travel also gives introverts an opportunity to explore outside their comfort zone and express themselves more openly without worrying about the pressures and expectations of family, friends, and colleagues.
2. Keep an open mind. Remain open to new experiences and welcome deviations from the norm. Take notice of the little things and refrain from restricting yourself to familiar practices, activities, and places. Moreover, consider a completely unfamiliar place as your destination or travel route in order to give yourself an entirely new experience.
3. Plan. Planning does not necessarily mean creating a detailed itinerary. Rather, it means making the necessary preparations before leaving: pack appropriate clothing and supplies, consider purchasing an AAA membership, and remember to inform close friends and family of your general direction or destination. In addition, you may want to designate one person as a daily contact.
4. Focus on the journey, not the destination. Placing too much focus on the journey’s final destination or ultimate goal can detract from the overall experience and result in making few, if any, new discoveries about yourself. Keep your focus on the journey itself and the experiences it has to offer. Let yourself get lost in the moment, appreciate the little things, and avoid making grand expectations.
5. Make changes. If you succeed in discovering new things about yourself, don’t force yourself back into old habits. Consider making permanent changes that alter your life for the better.